This morning was such an early morning for all of us, we were all up by 5:30am to make sure we'd get to the hospital by 6:30 for Landon's surgery. Landon was not allowed anything by mouth last night after midnight and of course he woke up during the night (which he does not normally do) and I could tell he was looking for his sippy cup of water that I usually leave in his bed for him and he WAS NOT happy, so once 5:30 came around he was tired, hungry and just not a happy little boy which just got worse once we walked into the surgery waiting room. He knows his waiting rooms/hospitals so he instantly knew something was going to happen and he did NOT like any of it! Once we checked in and walked to the preop room to get him dressed and checked out they realized he puts up quite the fight when he's unhappy, so they gave him some of their "happy medicine", which I guess they give all kids right before the surgery so it's not so tramatic for them when they have to leave their parents...but if that's the case I would think, to be fair, they should give some "happy medicine" to the mommy as well :) That medicine was crazy, he went from shaking, crying, and trying to walk out of the room to being calm, smiley, and laughing at Spongebob and Daddy, he was a totally different boy (slightly resembled an intoxicated little boy though) which both relieved me and worried me. After they wheeled him off to the OR Shawn and I waited in the waiting room. After 45 mins we met with Dr. Sterken and he told us everything went really well, he ended up fixing 4 teeth, 2 molars that needed to be cleaned and capped, and then he had a chipped tooth which he repaired and a spot on another tooth that he cleaned and filled just in case it ended up being the start of decay. After we talked with Dr. Sterken we went back to recovery and I sat with my groggy baby boy for 2 hours while Shawn went back home to get some food. The anesthesiologist came into the recovery room to talk to me and I right away knew it would be about Landon's narrow airway and his laryngomalasia, but he told me how nervous he was about putting a breathing tube in Landon because his airway was so extremely swollen that he had to use a breathing tube sized for a newborn and that he could clearly see the swollen flaps which indicate laryngomalasia and that he could also see signs that he may have tracheomalasia on top of that, I was stunned, the first full year of his life we were told he had tracheomalasia and then last year we were told that no he had laryngomalasia and now I hear that he might have both! He ended up putting my mind at ease a little after explaining that although he saw signs of those disorders he said Landon's lungs were perfect and he handled the whole breathing tube thing fine once they found the right size of tube. It was a draining morning, but we were home by 11:30am and all three of us were napping by noon, so Shawn was able to get a couple hours of sleep in before he had to go into work. Landon's teeth are looking good, I was a little disappointed that his dentist used silver caps for his molars, which I didn't think they used anymore, but as long as it keeps them from causing any more trouble I'm happy. Now I've got to go check on my little guy and hopefully he'll be in a cuddly mood the rest of the day, that's the only thing I enjoy when he goes through a medical problem...he always wants to cuddle and be comforted by mommy :)
~Sarah Rozeboom
small serving bowls
4 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment