About Me

My photo
I have been married 5 years to the love of my life and best friend, Shawn. We have a 4 year old son, Landon Michael and a soon to be 12 month old, Levi David, they mean the world to us. I am a stay-at-home-mom and I try to savor every single moment I spend with my boys. Landon was born with a rare intestinal disorder, "Intestinal Lymphangiectasia", which means his intestine does not absorb fats and proteins normally and we have struggled and continue to struggle with his Gastrointestinal issues. He was also born with a narrow airway and laryngomalasia which has caused a lot of breathing issues and for the first year and a half of his life he had 8 cases of severe croup,3 of them ending in a hospital stay, and 1 of those times he ended up intubated and on a paralytic (putting him in an induced coma) for 4 days, the hardest times thus far. I have learned more about myself and my surroundings in the past 4 years since becoming a mom then I have and probably EVER will. My family is my everything and I strive every single day to be the best wife and mom I can be.

Monday, February 16, 2009

First Blog

Well, after noticing a few friends who have been a part of this whole blogging thing and after hearing how much it helps some moms to, in a way, "vent" about their ups and downs and even the simple every day struggles or accomplishments that continually happen I thought I should give it a try. So here we go...
Today we had another doctor's appointment for my 2 year old son Landon, he was scheduled for a preop physical (to give us the "okay" to have his dental surgery on March 4) and to have one of his Hepatitis shots given to him. Since my husband Shawn was home I had him come with me so I'd have an extra set of hands to help hold our abnormally strong son down when it was time for that dreaded shot. Landon has been consistently in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices since birth so he learned very early that these visits usually consist of someone holding him down, pushing, poking, and many times hurting him and now he will instantly break down when the nurse calls his name in the waiting room. Today was no different, and I was actually grateful that he acted out like he normally does so Shawn could see just how much I go through every time I bring him to a simple check up, getting his blood drawn is a totally different story :P The nurse that weighed him, measured him and then gave him his shot was in complete shock when she realized just how strong he is and how hard it is to hold him still even for a few seconds. When the three of us (myself, Shawn and the nurse) held him down for the shot the nurse said she has never in her 15 years of nursing dealt with such a strong, solid toddler, she compared his strength to that of a 7 year old. She looked at me and said "Wow you are SO patient and great with him, most parents would be freaking out or breaking down along with their children when they act this way." I looked at her and simply said, "I'm used to it by now." The moment Landon heard the words "ready to go home?" he stopped his panicking and started waving and blowing kisses to everyone around him, lets just say he was more than ready to head home. After that appointment I started to wonder what it's like for mom's with kids who aren't so strong and who are sweet, calm and interactive towards people at doctor visits. Landon has learned what and how to fear certain things or situations as an infant who was a medical mystery for the first 5 months of his life. I know he's behind in the speech department and I also realize that it's due to not having the opportunities to interact with other children on a regular basis, but every day I try to work with him on saying a new word or phrase and although I see improvements we still have a long road ahead of us. Well, this blog is a little boring, but oh well, I'm a first timer and right now I've gotta end this so I can get things done before naptime is over. I will write again soon, we have A LOT of upcoming events in March including his dental surgery on the 4th; our first time flying with Landon on the 25th to Colorado for my brother's wedding which Landon just happens to be the ringbearer in and I am a bridesmaid on the 28th, so I'll be writing as we prepare for all of that. Take care!
~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited you joined the fun world of BLOGGING:) It does help....and it's kind of like your own journal you can read anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones